Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Batch #3

We brewed Batch #3 last night.  It ended up being a bit of a cluster because Ty started it, then had to leave for an hour and a half so I did all the middle stuff before he ended up finishing it.  As always, there were a few potential errors AND I didn't manage to take any pictures! 

The major mistake was that I didn't sanitize the hydrometer before I used it.  A minor mistake was not having enough ice on hand to get the batch cooled as quickly as it should have been.  We have a freezer in the garage for bulk meat and Costco purchases so I think I'll be putting a trash bag of ice in there to prevent that particular issue from happening again. 

One thing that I really liked last night was that Ty and I are already both comfortable enough with the process that we can use teamwork and take over for each other as needed.  I also really like that it is a totally doable project on a week night.  I predict a lot more week night brewing in our future! 

In semi-related news, we made it to the Gasthaus over the weekend to try the Prickly Pear Mead.  I'd only had mead once before and my memory of it was drastically different that the Prickly Pear.  I'd also had it at Widmer...  but I remember it being somewhat thicker and with more of a honey flavor. 

Tomorrow night, we're headed to Maher's Pub in Lake Oswego.  We've never been before but we have wanted to check the place out because one of our biggest cons about living in Lake O is the lack of pubs and taverns.  GoodLife Brewing will be hosting a Meet The Brewer event that sounds tasty and fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment