Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Canning


First off, I have to thank Susan for generously giving me 3.5 pounds of tomatillos and 4 pounds of Asian pears from her garden.  Tonight, I tackled salsa verde and pear butter.  Let me start by saying that neither recipe yielded as much as indicated and I have this problem frequently so maybe it's just me?

Anyway, first, I made the salsa verde recipe from my all-time favorite cookbook - Canning for a New Generation.  I didn't take in process pics like I should have but here's what the finished product looked like:

Salsa Verde - recipe said 4 pints but I only got 3
Next, I tackled this pear butter recipe:  http://hedonia.seantimberlake.com/hedonia/2006/10/pear_butter.html.  The flavor is AMAZING and the recipe was simpler than some of the pear/apple butter recipes I've seen.  My only complaint is that the website indicates that it will make 12 1/2 pints and I got just barely 1 and 1/2 pints.  I used Asian pears and the recipe called for Bartletts - could that make a five pint difference?!?!  

Jess using NEW food mill - thank you, Millers!!

Pear butter simmering away with four orange slices, a lemon slice, a vanilla bean, 4 whole cloves and a cinnamon stick







No comments:

Post a Comment