Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Carnitas

I don't cook often.  If I had to venture a guess, I would guess that Ty cooks 99% of the meals in our house in any given year.  However, when I came across a carnitas recipe in a magazine over the weekend, I decided to give it a try.  Even though it was a crock pot recipe...  which I generally avoid. Let me just say, this turned out both incredibly flavorful and incredibly tender.  I think it'll definitely be going into the regular rotation! 

Here's the before:

 And here's the after:
 

The basic recipe is:
  • 2 pounds beef stew meat
  • 1 cup fresh salsa
  • 3 or 4 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, chopped
  • 1 cup of low sodium beef stock
  • tortillas
  • shredded cheese
  • diced red onion
  • avocado
Put the beef, salsa, peppers and stock in a crock pot on low for 6 to 8 hours.  Once done, serve with tortillas, cheese, onion and avocado.  Simple!  

No comments:

Post a Comment