Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Apples!!!

In case you were wondering what it looks like to pile 120 pounds of apples into a Smart car...


After doing some research online regarding local farms stands and pricing, I called out to Justy's Produce because I couldn't find their pricing online.  I now know why - because Justy likes to help his customers and give each one the appropriate pricing.  Since most of my apples were for butter or sauce, sort outs and #2s would work perfectly giving me the best possible price and allowing him to clear out some of his lesser stock without taking a total loss on it.  Win/win any way you look at it!! 

So, after discussing canning and tossing him a few compliments, I inquired as to what he does with the stuff that he can't sell by the end of the weekend but won't last much longer.  His face lit up and I knew I was in business:).  They are closed on Sunday and all Friday and Saturday, he goes through his bins to keep the best product on the floor.  By the end of Saturday, he's ready to wheel and deal on this produce and, if I'm canning it, I don't much care that it might not be the prettiest stuff.  He gave me a magnetic business card and said to call at 5 any Saturday that I'd like to come by.  They close at 7 so he can tell me by then what he'll have and if it'll be enough to be worth my bother. 

After loading up my car, he quipped 'now you've got an uncle in the produce business'!  Yes, I think Justy and I are going to get along really well...  

No comments:

Post a Comment