Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Popovers

A couple of months ago, Ty and I were watching "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network when they profiled the popovers by a place called BLT Steak.  If I remember, it is a restaurant in New York.  When you eat there, they bring you a basket of their popovers instead of bread and they include the recipe so you can make them at home too.  The next day, I swung by Sur La Table and bought a popover pan...  and then waited for an occasion to use it!!  

Here's the recipe I found online:

4 cups mile
8 eggs
4 cups flour
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
2 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In it put two popover pans (enough for 12 popovers).

In a saucepan, warm the milk over gentle heat.  In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.  Slowly whisk int he milk (so as not to cook the eggs).  Measure the flour and salt into a sieve and sift onto the egg mixture.  Combine until mostly smooth.  

Remove the popover pan from the oven.  While the batter is still slightly warm or at room temperature, fill each popover cup three quarters full.  Top each popover with about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the grated cheese.  Return the pan to the oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes, rotating the pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking.  


Remove the pan from the oven, remove the popovers from the pan and serve immediately.  


Since I only have the one popover pan and we were only hosting dinner for six people, I halved the recipe - it seemed to work and I thought they were delish!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment